The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Homecoming Week in Review: Endless Energy Through the Eras

Freshman team at Monday Madness
Beth Farmer
Freshman team at Monday Madness

Homecoming week is an exciting tradition at Athens Academy. Every day during HOCO week on Spartan Lane is bustling with fun activities and dress-up days, all leading up to the finale of the much-anticipated homecoming dance on Saturday.

The week kicks off with Monday Madness: a flag football game where color-coordinated grade levels compete against one another. An energetic event with no shortage of laughter, the girls are showing off their skills on the field while the boys coach from the sidelines. Congrats to the combined team of the sophomore/seniors for winning the Flag Football event!

As the week progresses, students bring out their creativity and teamwork by working on committees to create floats, banners, videos, tiles, and noise makers all representing this year’s theme: “Eras.” Each day has its own dress-up theme, which gets everyone involved and in the spirit of homecoming! Some of the themes this year included Twin Day Tuesday, Wild Fan Wednesday, and Salad Dressing Thursday. For Friday’s finale, everyone dressed up in their class theme : 9th grade “colonial,” 10th grade “ancient civilization,” 11th grade “1960’s/space age,” and 12th grade “Roaring 20’s.” The big reveal occurs on Friday during the parade, and this year’s overall winner was the junior class!

The winning float: the Juniors!
(Athens Academy Instagram)

Not only is it a fun celebration, but homecoming week also builds community and team spirit at Athens Academy. “My favorite part about homecoming week definitely has to be working on all the committees and the float and trying to get everything together. It’s amazing and really fun,” says Senior Shelby Ladner.

The Homecoming King and Queen are announced on Friday, and this year the crown and tiara went to seniors Noah Prior and Jiya Patel! That night, the football team pulled out a big win for the Spartans, but even after a full week of fun, the big day still lays ahead.

Homecoming Court 2023 with Homecoming Queen Mills Crosland 2022
Pictured left to right: Carter Mundy, Jiya Patel, Mills Crosland, Courtney Coffeen, Sally Bullard, Maggie Bostwick
(Athens Academy Instagram)

Between getting ready, picking up flowers, taking pictures, dinner, and the dance, Saturday is a whirlwind with hardly a moment to spare.

Whether students stopped by for 30 minutes or stayed for two and half hours, there was no doubt everyone was having a great time. You could feel the energy when Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA” came on and everyone sang it at the top of their lungs. Senior Wade Slatcher agrees, saying his favorite part about homecoming is “the grooviness of the dance.”

All the hustle and bustle of the week produces a special culmination of memories that will last a lifetime. For the seniors, their last homecoming is bittersweet, as it represents the beginning of the end.

“I’m definitely going to miss homecoming. The dance is so much fun every year and I can’t believe it’s our last one,” says Senior Cristina Vega.

There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that these fond memories will be carried to amazing places, wherever our beloved seniors end up.