The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Study Habits for the Upcoming ACAD Exams

Photo taken by Pierce Barnett
Photo taken by Pierce Barnett

The week before Christmas Break, 8th-12th grades all have to take exams. These exams cover everything students have learned over the semester. For eighth graders, there are five subjects on the exams: geography, math, science, English, and world language.

You have one exam each day of the week. If you are confused, reach out to your teacher. They will be happy to help you! The exams will be approximately an hour and a half long, so you have plenty of time to finish. The first thing I do that helps me is go class by class, making study guides for each unit. On these study guides, you should put things that you have forgotten.

If you already have made study guides for each unit, staple them together to make your study guide. If this is not your style, you could make a game. You could create a Kahoot, Quizlet, Knowt, etc. You should have at least one game for each class if you use this method. 

Victoria University says, make sure to stretch out your information over a long period. Study the first unit for a couple of days, then the next unit for a couple of days, instead of cramming all of the information in a small amount of time. This tactic can help you retain the information much better.

For visual learners, Bethel University mentions that flashcards, diagrams, and digital resources can be helpful study tools. Bethel University also says visual learners can often be distracted by noise and movement when they work, so if you are a visual learner, I advise you to work alone.

Auditory learners should use mnemonic devices, flashcards, study with another person, read information aloud to memorize, try to teach what they are learning to someone, and imagine test questions and talk through them, states the University of Cincinnati.

People who like hands-on activities are kinesthetic learners. They learn through doing. Houghton University says kinesthetic learners can benefit from writing, making visuals like pictures or models, flashcards, and counting on their fingers. Things like tapping your foot and chewing gum can help kinesthetic learners.