The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Girls Bring Home the Title in Speedy Style

It was 2002 the last time the girls’ cross country won a state championship. Until last Saturday, November 4th, 2023 when the Athens Academy girls’ cross country team brought home a new state championship trophy, renewing their long overdue victory.

Throughout the whole season, the team worked hard on their training, which clearly paid off. They had morning workouts, long weekend runs, and tough practices to prepare them for the state meet.

One big part of the Athens Academy team, which is exemplified in their victory, is that the winners are not just the people who run. The teammates, spectators, coaches, parents, and everyone involved in helping and supporting the team contributes to the success of the team.

“In the past few years the idea of us being a team and working together and everyone being important has been emphasized more and more. It creates friendly competition where everyone is pushing themselves more. Having everyone there at a meet to support each other, you know when you run by you get way more excited and you get a rush of adrenaline,” says Ryland Marley, a runner on the guys’ team.

The night before the big race, all the girls who were not running got together to make signs. The bus that they took to Carrollton, the location of the meet, was decorated with green and white streamers and balloons, fairy lights, and inspirational posters. Everyone contributed to making it an eventful trip.

“To win a state championship was crazy, and that experience was amazing, and we couldn’t have done it without the whole team. It really means a lot and I will forever remember this team and these girls,” says Molly Smith, a junior and state championship runner on the team.

As well as winning a state championship, we have our very own state champion at Athens Academy, Maya Davis. Coming in a whole 45 seconds before the second place, a 19:15 5k time won her her very own state title.

Be sure to congratulate everyone who contributed to this incredible win!