The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Spectacular Sentiment of Solar Eclipse

Athens Academy had a wondrous time surveying the anticipated solar eclipse that occurred on April 8th. Solar eclipses are a surprisingly frequent phenomenon that can transpire multiple times somewhere on Earth. However, it is incredibly rare for them to take place in a certain area, so it is no wonder that they bring a substantial amount of excitement. 

However, what exactly is a solar eclipse? A solar eclipse takes place when the moon blocks the sun as it is orbiting around Earth. As a result, sunlight is not able to reach Earth. This is why the sky becomes dark and the temperature begins to decrease during a solar eclipse.

Since I had not experienced a solar eclipse in a long time, I was satisfied with being able to witness one again. However, I was curious as to how other Spartans felt about their experience with the solar eclipse. 

Most students shared a positive sentiment towards their experience. “It was an incredible experience, and I was able to spend some time away from class,” says George McMaster, a junior in the class of 2025.  

However, Renee, another junior in the class of 2025, confirmed that the solar eclipse “was underwhelming in comparison to the solar eclipse in 2017, but it was still cool.” Although certain qualities of this solar eclipse did not meet expectations for some people, it was still enjoyable for them overall. 

The solar eclipse was a wondrous experience that every Spartan was able to enjoy in some way. Since it is very rare for these events to occur frequently at the same location, it is a nice commemoration that the community of Athens Academy can share. 

“This event allowed me to be more engaged with my friends at school,” says Parker, a student in the class of 2026.