The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

The Benefits of Time Spent Outside

Photo Credits: Rachel Wicker
Photo Credits: Rachel Wicker

This past weekend, my family and I made the hour and a half drive to Unicoi State Park in Helen, Georgia. After hiking a short distance, we stopped at a grassy field next to a shimmering stream. While my brother and dad went fishing, my sister and I laid in the field and read, bugs and the spring wind swirling around us. I felt relaxed and at peace, with none of the stress from the week lingering in my mind. Just laying there in the sun for a couple hours helped relieve more stress for me than a typical weekend of rest. 

I often spend the majority of my weekends indoors – even when I see my friends or spend time with my family, we’re usually inside somewhere, like the movie theater or some store. This past weekend’s trip to Unicoi state park with my family reminded me of how beneficial and important it is to spend more time outside, based on how refreshed and good I felt from the time I spent there surrounded by nature. 

Both physical and mental benefits have been associated with time outside, including stress reduction, memory and sleep improvement, and increased heart health. Just 20 minutes spent outdoors can reap these benefits, a feasible amount of time for anyone to accomplish, no matter how busy their schedule may be. Time outside doesn’t necessarily need to be accompanied by a physical activity of any sorts or an hour car ride to a state park – simply reading a book or painting in your backyard can be enough. 

In a technological world in which an online presence is increasingly prominent in work, school, and leisure, it’s no secret that time outdoors is often replaced by time in front of a screen. Recent studies estimate that the average American spends about 90% of their time indoors, and a significant portion of this time is spent in front of a screen. At Athens Academy, we are fortunate to have those several minutes between classes to briefly enjoy the outdoors. But it’s easy to come home from school and spend the rest of the day inside, doing homework or staring at screens until nighttime. Spending just a small portion of your time outside rather than staying inside can help you to live a more stress-free, balanced, well-rested, and healthy life. Whether it’s hours or minutes in nature, any amount of time can help you achieve a better lifestyle and quality of life. 

Source – https://www.onemedical.com/blog/healthy-living/health-benefits-nature/