The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Jamming in Jekyll

Photo Credit: Robin Roberts
Photo Credit: Robin Roberts

Last year, 2023, the guys’ and girls’ tennis teams had a successful tournament at Jekyll Island. The guys lost to Columbus High School in the semifinals, and the girls lost to River Ridge and came in third. Despite that, both teams have had an excellent start to the season this year. They both swept LOA 5-0 and barely got edged out 2-3 by the largest school in the state, Mill Creek.

Price West, a sophomore doubles player, said, “I’m most excited for the Jekyll trip because it’s my first year, and it’s a good time for us to get some added experience and focus on tennis for a weekend.” The Jekyll Jam tournament is a great way for players to get a lot of tennis experience in a short amount of time. 

The Jekyll Jam is also a great way for the team to bond. Junior Avery Roark noted, “I love the Jekyll tournament! It’s a great warmup for the season and a great way to get to know my teammates.” The bonding that the team experiences on the trip helps lead to success down the road in the region and state tournaments.

Junior Adelaide Ellis added, “My favorite part of the trip is playing a variety of teams that we do not play in regular season, and it definitely does not hurt that it is at the beach!” 

While it is a competitive tournament and a weekend focused mostly on tennis, being on the beach is an awesome way for many students to unwind and relax. As West says, “It’s a spring break, before spring break.”

This past weekend, the guys got 3rd, beating Camden and Oconee County, and ultimately losing to Columbus in the Semifinals. The girls ended up in 4th, and avenged their State Playoff loss to Brantley by beating them in the first round. Come out and support these phenomenal teams this season as they progress towards a state title.