The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

The Defenders Take the Offensive

Walk-offs and no-hitters have been highlights for the varsity baseball team this year. The season is still young, and the self-proclaimed “Janson Defenders” are excited about the future of their season. 

The Spartans have kept a positive attitude and built off big wins to start the season. Varsity head coach Casey Kane believes that with hard work and smart play, the team can make an impact in the playoffs.

“We’d like to build off of last year. We made the playoffs and beat some really great teams. Hopefully, we can take that next step” said Kane. 

But first, to make a splash in the postseason, the work must be put in.

“We have our hands full with a tough region, but we’ve had unbelievable practices and played well in games so far” said Kane. 

The Spartans have suffered a few tough losses to start the year to some high-quality opponents, but are determined to persevere through region play.

“Coach is right to say that we need to have some better at bats. We can’t be helping out the pitcher.” said Om Patel, a senior in the class of 2024, as well as starting pitcher and center fielder for the Spartans. “We’ve had some better play, and our pitching is the best I’ve seen in my time in high school.”

With a difficult schedule ahead, senior leadership will help guide the Spartans to a successful season.

“We have five seniors who have been dedicated to the game. They’ve played since they were little. I trust them to be leaders for their teammates.” said Kane.

The Spartans have shown hard work and dedication that they plan to keep up during the season. Like any season of sports, it’s had its ups and downs, but the fans have stayed as enthusiastic as ever to support their team.

“We bring out some lawn chairs, sit on the deck, and cheer on our boys,” said Tom Murray, a senior in the class of 2024 and a loyal Spartan fan.

As region play gears up, support the varsity baseball team and be prepared for more exciting moments throughout the season.

“I’m ecstatic for Janson to be defended” exclaimed Noah Prior, another loyal Spartan fan.