The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

The Track Teams Are Set to Tackle State

Photo Credits: Bryce Paramore
Photo Credits: Bryce Paramore

The Track State Meet this year is from May 9 – May 11 at East Jackson. Both the girls’ and boys’ track teams are hoping to win and bring back a trophy, and they have a good chance of succeeding. They’ve been practicing since November, each day working to become better and better. They even train on the weekends, occasionally having four-hour-long practices. So far, their efforts have paid off as they’ve competed well against large schools. The team also had several members compete at Nationals, quite the accomplishment. 

Though running is an individual sport (except for relays, of course), the team aspect is just as important as in any other sport. According to sophomore HT Garrard, being a part of such a supportive community is his favorite part of being on the track team. 

Garrard says, “Everybody cheers everybody on, and everybody’s just pushing each other to be better.” 

Another sophomore, Kate Sullivan, agrees with him, mentioning that “the meets can sometimes last forever, so you get a lot of good team bonding in.” 

Both Garrard and Sullivan want to compete in the state meet. Additionally, they have set other goals to work towards. In the mile, Garrard wants to run under 4:50, and Sullivan wants to get as close to 5:20 as she can. Both of them, along with the rest of the track team, will continue working hard in practice so that they will be able to attain these goals. 

Everyone is encouraged to go support the track team at a meet, to witness how their efforts and hard work are rewarded, and to see some fast racing. The atmosphere is sure to be fun, inclusive, and inviting as well as highly competitive as state gets closer and closer. Go Spartans!