The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Ms. Sensing is More Than Just a History Teacher

Ms.+Sensing++baking+with+her+brother%2C+niece+and+nephew.+
Ms. Sensing
Ms. Sensing baking with her brother, niece and nephew.

Ms. Sensing, a 9th grade World History teacher, is in her 20th year at Athens Academy. This article is not about her teaching skills, though. Sensing is a world-class baker, baking desserts for: the Honor Council, her family, students, the Book Club, and more. My personal favorite is the s’mores brownie shown below, which she often brings to Honor Council meetings.

Ms. Sensing’s S’more’s Brownies (Weston )

She grew up baking with her mom, as she recalls, “elaborately decorated birthday cakes”. She would make cookies with her mom each year for Christmas and has since continued the tradition with her niece and nephew, making Sugar cookies (with tons of sprinkles) and Nutmeg Noels.

Sensing says she started baking on her own in middle and high school, “sticking to pretty simple things: cookies, cupcakes, and simple pies.”

What she enjoys most now is experimenting with new flavor combinations. She recently took an online baking course with Christina Tosi that taught her how to combine culinary aspects. Her final project was a Key Lime Pie Cake, and to this day she has continued to prototype new recipes, like whoopie pie cookies and more.

Sensing says that she has made numerous mistakes while baking. Recently, she overcooked the caramel for some shortbread to what she calls, “the break your teeth” stage.

If you want to watch a cooking show, Sensing recommends the Great British Bakeoff, her personal favorite. Baking is a way to show that you care. Ms. Sensing shows us she cares not through what she says, but through what she bakes.