The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Pop Culture Club is Full of Juicy Fun

Mrs. Cuneo
Photo of Charlie Sanderlin (left) and Anya Patel (right).

Do you love drama? Of course no one loves being a part of drama. I’m talking about drama in other people’s lives, especially in celebrities’ lives. Do you spend your time keeping up with your favorite famous singer, actor, or socialite? Do you often wish that you had someone to discuss all that drama with? Well, there’s a brand new club that’s perfect for you!

Juniors Charlie Sanderlin and Anya Patel founded the pop culture club this year. The co-founders started the club because they wanted to create a community where other pop culture lovers could have fun.

Being a new club on campus is, as Patel describes, “Great! There comes some anxiety, just with getting started and everything.”

On September 7th, the club had their first meeting in the Science Arts building after school. The meeting had a rough start.

At first, the club room was empty. Patel remembers thinking that “nobody came to our first meeting”. Luckily, the club members just showed up to the wrong place. However that wasn’t the end of their rough patch. The T.V wasn’t working so the co-founders couldn’t project the slideshow that they made.

These co-founders didn’t panic though. They decided to email everyone the slideshow and have each person look at it on their own computers, and despite a few bumps in the road, Sanderlin said, “Our first meeting was a blast!”

The club discussed their opinions on recent events in pop culture. For instance, the club talked about several couples like Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet, and the infamous Ariana Grande and Ethan Slater. The club either decided that they were “Shippin’ it” or “Kickin’ it”. “Shippin’ it” means they approve to the relationship. While “Kickin’ it” means they disapprove of the relationship so they’re kicking it to the curb.

In the future, students can expect Pop Culture Club to be a place where they’re allowed to be themselves and have lots of laughs!

View Comments (1)