The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Spartan Cheerleaders Bringing the Spartan Spirit

Photo of Athens Academy Cheer Team taken by Lori Morrow

There is no one who is more enthusiastic about the Spartan Spirit than the Athens Academy Cheerleading Team. They bring energy and excitement to both games and pep rallies, throughout the entire fall and winter seasons as they cheer for football and basketball games. Their performances have been stunning as a result of the hard work they put in at practice. Both the JV and Varsity teams have been able to perform completely new skills, and they will only continue to improve as the season goes on. 

The cheerleaders have to trust and rely on each other as they perform stunts, and they have developed a strong bond with one another. Their bond has enabled them to perform better than ever. The Homecoming Pep Rally was one of their best performances, and they have incorporated new elements that they weren’t able to accomplish in the past. Watching the athletes grow is Coach Kelsie Webb’s, the head coach of the Varsity team, “favorite part of coaching.” She continues to push them. She wants to include more stunting at the basketball games and bring in skills that no one has seen. She says, “I have no doubt this team can accomplish it.” They are led by a group of veteran cheerleaders, and they have a great coaching staff. 

The cheerleaders use their practice time to develop new skills and perfect their routines. Sofia Dean is a sophomore on the white team during the basketball cheer season. She says, “We know what we’re doing.” Instead of spending valuable practice time relearning old routines, they are able to pay more attention to detail and perfect their routines as well as learn new skills. She enjoys being a part of the team, and getting to know her teammates. She says, “We all practice together, which is fun.”

Next time you are at a basketball game, be sure to watch the cheerleaders. Their performance is sure to be fantastic as a result of all the hard work they’ve put in, and the energy they bring is contagious. And don’t forget: Go Spartans!