The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

The Anatomy of Gray: An Insightful Drama

Athens Academy Instagram
The cast of Anatomy of Gray with Elizabeth Raeber (‘24) standing center stage

The lights were bright and expectations high as June Muldoon, played by senior Elizabeth Raeber, walked out onto the stage, and with bright eyes and a clear voice, she began to tell her story.

Athens Academy’s One Act production of Anatomy of Gray is adapted from the play written by Jim Leonard Jr. It follows the story of young June Muldoon and the townspeople of Gray, Indiana, whose lives are completely changed when Dr. Gray, played by senior Wade Slatcher, arrives in their small town.

It was clear how much work had been put into making the show, and the final product was nothing short of outstanding. Student Reese Jarrard describes the play as “absolutely phenomenal,” and I’ve yet to meet anyone who disagrees. A perfect blend of humor and tragedy, Anatomy of Gray invoked both laughter and tears in audiences.

Ms. Thompson, director of the play and head of the Upper School drama department, describes the script as “timely with our political world and everything going on in the world right now,” a significance that surely contributed to the play’s impactful nature.

She also says that she knew she had the right people to do this show. “I knew this was a match for them.” Each actor’s performance was proof of this, with their perfect delivery and heartfelt emotion completely bringing the script to life.

The show won runner-up in region, with senior Courtney Coffeen winning best supporting actress for her role as Rebecca Muldoon, and Elizabeth Raeber and Julia Drake earning spots on the All Star Cast.