The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

5th Grade is a Year of Changes

This year the class of 2031 moved to the middle school. Two current fifth graders, Cammie Couch and Ford Bridges tell us about the move.

First, I interviewed Cammie Couch. She thinks that fifth grade has really good teachers and that they are more chill. She also said that the fourth grade teachers make fifth grade sound scarier then it is and to not be scared. So far, Cammie thinks that the hardest part has been the homework and the schedule.

Photo of 5th grader Cammie Couch (Sam)

In fifth grade, there are more hands-on projects. Cammie’s favorite was the food chemistry unit where they learn about the digestive system and different food categories. She likes learning about why we eat certain ways and what is good for your body.

Cammie would tell a rising fifth grader to not let the homework stress you out. Cammie is looking forward to learning more about Greek mythology and Zeus’s birthday and also the Medieval Banquet.

Ford Bridges, another fifth grade student, believes that fifth grade is easier than fourth grade. However, fifth grade does come with some challenges, such as their folders. Ford states that sometimes it is difficult to organize the folders properly.

Photos of 5th grader Ford Bridges (Samantha Paramore)

Ford enjoys the art class more this year and the freedom to create things. He also enjoys that science is a class this year instead of a special.

Ford’s favorite project so far has been reading Ghost by Jason Reynolds, and he looks forward to going to Birmingham where they will spend the night for the first time with no parents. However, Ford misses the longer recess and all of the equipment.

Ford’s advice to future students is to keep up with your agenda to make sure you complete the work. Also to know the teachers and know that they won’t teach the exact same way. Overall Ford says, “It seems like it will be a good year.”

This year will be an exciting one for these students because of all the fun activities ahead.