The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

ACAD Thinks Global and Acts Local

Group+of+10th+graders.+
Sparrow’s Nest
Group of 10th graders.

On Monday, September 11th, Mrs. Biggins from Climate Change Conversations spoke to the upper school about climate change awareness. She used evidence through graphs and visuals to show how humans and fossil fuels impact the environment. When she showed sustainable technologies like nuclear energy and regenerating carbon dioxide, students were compelled.

Biggins explained many people are making technological innovations to protect the earth and become more efficient. I appreciate the opportunities at Athens Academy to learn about current issues with various guest speakers. Athens Academy student Charlie Walton said, “Guest Speakers are important to bring awareness to issues that we may otherwise overlook in our busy lives at school.”

Opportunities to learn about current worldly issues extend past mid-morning meeting and into our classrooms and clubs. For example, Athens Academy also offers an AP Environmental Science class taught by Mrs. Chester, which looks deeper into ecosystem cycles and how humans disrupt them.

Additionally, Mr. Scharfenberg’s advisory and Mrs. Zalac went to The Sparrows Nest, a non-profit ministry that helps those in need. Students laid down mulch and organized closets. The exciting day ended with tacos at Taqueria Del Sol.

The trip showed how fortunate we are to be at Athens Academy and our obligation to serve the community. Mr Scharfenberg said, “Service day was a great opportunity to give back to the community, which our whole advisory did by rallying together and each participating. It is always important to remember others needs.” Athens Academy students and faculty take initiative throughout the year with countless service projects and fundraisers including Care Club which hosts a dance to raise money for Children’s HealthCare of Atlanta.

The presentation about climate change incorporated thinking global and students acted local by helping at The Sparrows Nest.