The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Ending World Hunger One Skate at a Time: Interact Club’s Ice Out Hunger

Pictured: Emmeline Nilon, Rachel Wicker, Sydney McCurdy, Bailey McCurdy
Photo Credit: Athens Academy Daily Website
Pictured: Emmeline Nilon, Rachel Wicker, Sydney McCurdy, Bailey McCurdy Photo Credit: Athens Academy Daily Website

On January 21st, the Athens Academy Interact Club held an event called “Ice Out Hunger,” at the Athens Classic Center. Club members worked the front skate stand and earned a dollar for every skater that participated.

This money earned goes towards funding the supplies and ingredients needed for the shelter dinners provided by the club. Twice a month, Interact members travel to the Athens-Area homeless shelter and cook a delicious dinner for those who live there. They decide on a meal to prepare, purchase the ingredients, and a group of ten or so cook it in the shelter’s kitchen. 

According to club leader and junior at Athens Academy, Bailey McCurdy, “Ice Out Hunger was very successful and a ton of fun-I want to give a big thanks to everyone who came out!” Rachel Wicker, another student at Athens Academy said that “It was so much fun working with all of the Interact Club members. It was awesome knowing that this fun event is helping a greater cause for our shelter dinners.”

Interact Club is a global organization that strives to “create positive, lasting change in local and international communities.” It is the student branch of the Rotary Organization in which students connect with their communities through a variety of service based activities and projects. 

The goal of the club is to “Take action, build international understanding, and make new friends around the world.” The Athens Academy Interact Club is run by a group of passionate highschool students who work to get involved with the Athens-area community through various service projects, such as cooking dinner for the Athens Homeless Shelter and other similar events. 

Not only does the Interact Club work with the local community, but also internationally. Every year, they also host a large Rise Against Hunger event where thousands of meals are packaged to be sent abroad to those in need. To get involved with the club, reach out to a leader and be on the lookout for more shelter dinners, service opportunities and supply drives!