The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

The Most Iconic Dance of the Year

Class of 2025 photo Winter Theme Dance 2023

This February, Athens Academy will be hosting its annual “Sadie Hawkins”, now “Winter Theme” dance. On February 3rd, look out for a parade of students filing into the baseball facility in fun costumes! For those that do not attend or are looking forward to attending in the future, the Winter Dance is not like the typical  formal  dance. Everyone wears costumes based on the yearly theme, which ranges from topics like Rhyme without Reason to this year’s theme, Icons!!

Most people look forward to this dance because, as advertised, it is a chill dance you can go to with friends. There is not the pressure of having to find a date or trying to buy an expensive dress or suit. 

This year, the theme is “icons,” which has many creative options. If you are looking for a last minute costume idea this article is for you! 

One popular idea is dressing up as a character from a popular movie or TV show. Examples include: 

Harry Potter – Harry, Ron, Hermione, Malfoy, even Dumbledore or Snape 

Mean Girls – Regina, Karen, Cady, Gretchen, Janice, Aaron, Damian 

You could even go out of your comfort zone and be something fictional! 

Alvin and the Chipmunks – Alvin, Theodore, Simon 

Disney Princesses – Cinderella, Mulan, Rupunzel, Belle 

If you want to truly fit the “iconic” theme, you could go with your icon, whether that is a celebrity, musician, or athlete. For instance, you could dress up as Taylor Swift because we all know someone has to dress up as her. Another icon could include Travis Kelce because of his relation to Taylor Swift, of course. Some broader examples include; Athletes- Messi, Michael Jordan, Serena Williams, Simone Biles, Tom Brady

Actors- Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, Adam Sandler

(Maybe include a more general category for icons like your mom, a fire fighter, or a astronaut, etc.) 

Whatever you decide to dress up as, there is something for everyone! It is so much fun to dress up with your friends and just have a fun night!