The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

NaNoWriMo: The challenge of the month

During the month of November, middle school students have been participating in a challenge program called NaNoWriMo. This stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write 50,000 words by the end of the month. 

For 7th and 8th graders their only goal is 50000. For 5th and 6th graders they do the NaNoWriMo young writers program. This allows students to pick their own goal. 

Some more ambitious writers do choose to do 50000, while most others choose around 10000. They can choose what they want to write about as long as it is a basic story. 

This is really for the students and for them to have a fun thing to do. No one is forced to do it but anyone can sign up. As a bonus, if you reach certain presents you can get different prizes. This year around 12 7th and 8th graders started a novel and 22 5th and 6th graders started one. This does not mean that every student will finish. but they have at least all tried and started a novel. 

NaNoWriMo also has a program called Camp NaNoWriMo which occurs every April and July. This is just a personal goal and not as popular as the main one in November.

I got to talk to a few fifth grade participants. Kat Miller says, “I want to be an author and this has been a good opportunity for me to practice.” Similarly, Violet Vacher wants to be an author and she really likes to read. “ I like the creative freedom and the triumph,” she says. 

Keira Lumpkins likes the challenge of it and she likes participating in it with her friends. Savannah Davis likes writing and also states that it is a good time filler. “My favorite part is probably lunch with Mrs.Roberts in her room while we write.” 

NaNoWriMo is a great opportunity for students to show off their writing talents. I think that everyone will be excited to write next year.