The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Spreading Kindness with Spartan Spirit

Ms. Thompson
Peer Support Project Co-Presidents Courtney Coffeen and Wendy Oxford

How important is it to be kind? It may seem miniscule, but it causes great results. This can be exemplified by the premise of the Peer Support Project (PSP).

“I didn’t see the same acts of kindness I saw from my balcony anymore,” says Ms. Thompson, the founder of the PSP. This was the disengagement Ms. Thompson witnessed before she established PSP a few years ago. “What we needed was more emphasis on kindness, and I needed to be part of the solution.”

The goal of PSP is to promote the pursuit of kindness and support. PSP projects within the Lower School of Athens Academy have introduced young students to topics such as mental health and inclusivity. Moreover, activities done by PSP such as encouraging students to write cards for each other and celebrating Peer Support Kindness Week have all promoted the integration of kindness within the Spartan community.

Partaking in the PSP itself encourages students to get involved within Athens Academy in order to do what they enjoy. Amirah Sims, a student of 2025, states, “I feel like it’s a great way to get students involved in different things.”

Spreading positivity within our community is definitely vital. The measures PSP has taken to do this has displayed great success as it has caused more supportive activity within Athens Academy, encourages students to follow their interests, and simply makes a person’s day better.

Thompson confirms that “It does make a change. Little changes, but that’s how big changes come about.”