The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

The Student News Site of Athens Academy

The Spartan Review

Photo Credits: oconeeyouthplayhouse.com
OYSP, The Place to Be
April 25, 2024

Out With The Old, In With The New

Photo Credit: Julia Harisay’s Instagram
A 2016 Homecoming Proposal

Rita Craig once said, “Traditions touch us, they connect us, and they expand us.” Last week was homecoming week at Athens Academy, and many of the school’s favorite traditions were carried out, whether it be the hilarious homecoming videos, the grand floats, or the gloriously awaited football game. But this year, one of the most beloved traditions has seemed to have not been carried on this year.A school favorite, homecoming proposals have always been the classy and traditional way to ask a girl to homecoming. This year though, Snapchat seems to have taken the place of the most common way of asking.

Curious to explore this shift, I asked students around the school their opinion of how girls should be asked. Many girls said that they “love it,” while others explained that it is “overwhelming” and “cringe,” especially when it is “in front of a lot of people.”

Another student, Charlie Sanderlin, said he “Loves the tradition” and that all guys should, “Bow down to the queen[s].”

So are the female students at Athens Academy influencing this change? It seems they are less enthusiastic towards the proposals, but could this attitude change? The most reasonable answer, in my opinion, is that girls should be the ones making a sign! We can expand this tradition to be inclusive and flexible to all people’s wishes.